Saturday 12 January 2013

Our ship comes in (20 years ago)


Waiting for the captain
In 1991 the Navy retired one of the several USS Lexingtons that have served since the original set sail in 1776. This massive carrier is filled with vintage equipment, planes and displays. You can walk and climb all over the ship from boilers to bridge.

Captain at the helm - think I'll take her our for a spin

Just edging away from the breakwater

Missing the copilot

Caught her
Part of the hanger deck

More hanger deck
Why are they letting me loose here?
Norene picked a more feminine ride

I could not begin to cover the Lexington in a meaningful way here. If somehow I manage to convey awe and stimulate curiosity my work here is done. If I bore you in this little treatise be comforted that I enjoyed it anyway. Yes most of the photos could be better – I didn’t want to load Norene down with my Imax equipment.
This looks like a challenging place to prep


Just a couple of adjustments to make before casting off
The servery
Here's where you find your "rack"


We'll be adding a link to a bunch more here when we get to some high speed wifi.
Hope you enjoyed that little tour with somewhere around a gazillion pictures. This was about 1/3 rd of original 3 gazillion.
All those who found this to be a bit of a snore thanks for hanging in. The free bar is now open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop us a note here - we'd love to hear from you.